Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Marathon Day

Hellooo! My name is Raeann Stengel and this is my very first service trip. Its been an exciting adventure so far. Today we woke up ready to work. However, some of us woke up a little earlier, and therefore a little grumpier than they had planned. We had a small problem with alarms this morning. Its one of those problems you wouldn’t actually anticipate. Just take a moment to imagine a huge room filled with bunk beds and each person has their phone or iPod right next to their head set to a different time. I can’t say that I wasn’t guilty of perhaps letting mine go off for 5 minutes, and asking, “Who’s alarm is that?!” before having three people whisper-yell at me, “ITS YOURS, TURN IT OFF!” Whoopsies!

Once we finally got on the road for our 15 minute trip, we realized that the marathon that had streets crossed off throughout the city might actually be a problem. An hour and 15 minutes later, we arrived at our destination. I actually had absolutely no complaints, because I feel like I got a wonderful tour of some of the most beautiful areas in Atlanta. A lot of the areas reminded me of areas in Louisville.

Once we arrived at the site, we got right to work. We moved drywall for several hours until it was completely cleaned out. Then we picked up all of the debris and threw it in a dumpster, that was being expertly organized by a group of dedicated volunteers.

Once of my favorite parts was the end, when we all grabbed some Sharpies and tagged the wall. We got lots of pictures, as I’m sure you will see on here, with everything from our fraternity/sorority, to our hall, to our sports team. It was a good time. We came back, had a little meeting, and now I’m off to see the area called Little Five Points, which apparently is adorable and really fun, and I believe it, because that’s how I would describe the parts of Atlanta that I’ve seen so far.
Well, that’s all for now, and I’ll hand this off to someone else to document their trip.

Raeann Stengel
Class of 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Centre College 2010 ASB Blog. Let us know what you think!